Things to do in Taupo
We have many things for
you to do in and around Taupo - If you are planning to stay for the
night or for a whole week, there is something for every one.
- Aratiatia Rapids:
stand on the lookout for a view of the Rapids, where water is released
from the dam at 10.00am, noon, 2.00pm daily and an additional time of
4.00pm in the summer.
- Craters of the Moon: walk around an active thermal area with mud pools, craters and steam in the Wairakei Tourist Park
- Hobbiton village: 90 minutes drive to Matamata and Hobbiton village movie set of the Lord of the Rings
- Huka Falls:
watch as over 200,000 litres/44,000 gallons of water fall over the
cliff face every second or take a jet boat ride or river boat cruise to
the base of the falls.
- Napier the art deco city of New Zealand is only 90 minutes drive from Acapulco Motor Inn www.hawkesbaynz.com
- Prawn Park hatchery: tour the geothermal hatchery then head to the restaurant for a meal of prawns www.prawnfarm.co.nz
- Scenic flights: get a bird's eye view over the area, including Mt Ruapehu www.helistar.co.nz
- Scenic walks
around Taupo, beginning with the Great Lake Walk alongside the
lakeshore. From Spa Thermal Park near Taupo Bungy, a pleasant riverside
walk leads to Huka Falls past a public hot spring on the riverbank. On
Mountain Rd behind the township a track climbs to the summit of Mt
Tauhara. From here the whole region is laid out before you and
Tongariro's volcanos stand out as monarchs of the central plateau.
- Tongariro Crossing: One of the best one way treks in New Zealand (transport recommended to the beginning and from the end of the hike)
- Thermal baths: a number of hot pool complexes have been developed for visitors, to take advantage of the natural hot water www.taupohotsprings.com
- Trout-fishing: charter
an excursion to catch the elusive rainbow or brown trout on Lake Taupo,
or go fly fishing with a local guide up one of the many rivers in the
- Volcanic Activity Centre: for displays and audio-visual presentations of the Taupo Volcanic Zone www.volcanoes.co.nz
For more information see the official website www.laketauponz.com